This post presents an addendum to Rodney Thomson’s Descriptive Catalogue of the Medieval Manuscripts in the Library of Peterhouse (2016), and records a previously unnoticed manuscript that is bound with one of the College’s printed books. For a fuller history of that volume, given to Peterhouse by John Cosin, see July’s blog post (‘Gold Leaf and Graffiti’).
Professor Thomson’s description of the manuscript is as follows:
Biblia Vulgata II, Fust & Schoeffer, Mainz, 1462.
Parchment; no foliation. 112, 2-310, a singleton. Catchwords; signatures in the first two quires of the usual late medieval form: a1, a2, a3 &c.
415 × 300 (270 × 225) mm., ruled with crayon in 3 cols of 51 lines.
De Nominibus Hebraicorum. Aaz apprehendens uel apprehensio … Zuzim consiliantes eos uel consiliatores eorum. Expliciunt interpretationes bibliotice. A very usual accompaniment to Vulgate Bibles from c. 1200, usually attrib. to Stephen Langton: Stegmüller, Bibl. 1677, 1; 7708-9.
Written in professional German gothic bookhand influenced by humanistica. Opening initial in gold with flourishing in purple and green. Alternating red or blue initials; red or blue paraphs.